Tory Jon

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 437 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Do you cover your RV in summer? #40909
    Tory Jon
    Keymaster
        • Joined: Nov 2019
        • Posts: 699
        • Likes: 1014
        Like
        Up
        1
        ::

        There are pros and cons to covering an RV in summer. I’ve touched on it in this article here: https://camperfaqs.com/should-i-cover-my-rv-in-the-summer

        Here’s a quick pros and cons graphic.

        should-i-use-an-rv-cover

        I’ve never covered mine in summer, but it is in the shade most of the day, I keep it clean and waxed, and I use 303 UV protectant where it makes sense.

         

        in reply to: Holding tank lever incredibly hard to pull open #40905
        Tory Jon
        Keymaster
            • Joined: Nov 2019
            • Posts: 699
            • Likes: 1014
            Like
            Up
            0
            ::

            Good question! Silicone lubricant should work. If it doesn’t, try the method in this video.

            in reply to: AC unit leaking after running for a while #40885
            Tory Jon
            Keymaster
                • Joined: Nov 2019
                • Posts: 699
                • Likes: 1014
                Like
                Up
                0
                ::

                Exactly what @IA_Camper said. You’ll need to get on your roof, remove the AC cover and check the drain pan. If you’re not comfortable doing that, then have a service tech do it. It wouldn’t hurt to service and clean your AC every year to prevent things like this.

                in reply to: What do you use for RV navigation? #40843
                Tory Jon
                Keymaster
                    • Joined: Nov 2019
                    • Posts: 699
                    • Likes: 1014
                    Like
                    Up
                    1
                    ::

                    BTW, love the meme! 🙂

                    in reply to: What do you use for RV navigation? #40842
                    Tory Jon
                    Keymaster
                        • Joined: Nov 2019
                        • Posts: 699
                        • Likes: 1014
                        Like
                        Up
                        2
                        ::

                        When I’m trip planning at home I just use Google maps to get a good idea of the route. On the road, I use a Garmin 795. An RV GPS, and especially Google Maps, are not perfect. But an RV GPS is invaluable when it comes to RV-specific features like avoiding low clearances, steep grades, and more.

                        I also carry a Rand McNally Motor Carriers Road Atlas, but I hope i never have to break it out…lol

                        in reply to: Pulling a travel trailer in windy conditions #40839
                        Tory Jon
                        Keymaster
                            • Joined: Nov 2019
                            • Posts: 699
                            • Likes: 1014
                            Like
                            Up
                            1
                            ::

                            Keep’em coming! 🙂 I wouldn’t say there is a specific MPH of wind to look out for, as each motorized or towable camper will be different, the comfort levels and experience of the driver will be different, the unpredictability of winds, and so on.

                            That said, there are specific measures you can take if you find yourself caught in strong winds, like slowing down to give yourself more control, steady steering (proper countersteering and preventing oversteering), and knowing when to pull over and wait for the winds to die down.

                            Hope that helps.

                            in reply to: Do electronic mouse repellent devices work? #40834
                            Tory Jon
                            Keymaster
                                • Joined: Nov 2019
                                • Posts: 699
                                • Likes: 1014
                                Like
                                Up
                                1
                                ::

                                @ia_camper is correct. You’ll hear just as many people say they work as they don’t work. And there’s no evidence they do other than anecdotal. Peppermint oil and chili oil have been tested to be effective, but really the only way to keep mice out is to seal off all entry points, which I detail here: https://camperfaqs.com/how-to-keep-mice-out-of-camper-best-methods

                                in reply to: Removing bug splatter #40828
                                Tory Jon
                                Keymaster
                                    • Joined: Nov 2019
                                    • Posts: 699
                                    • Likes: 1014
                                    Like
                                    Up
                                    2
                                    ::

                                    I don’t have a specific product I use. I think I currently have Turtle Wax Bug & Tar that I picked up from my local Farm & Fleet. However I think more important than what you use is applying a fresh coat of wax right before your trip and presoaking the area for a bit before applying the bug remover. I’ve never had an issue with bug guts coming off just following those two steps.

                                    in reply to: Water pressure regulator PSI while on city water? #40823
                                    Tory Jon
                                    Keymaster
                                        • Joined: Nov 2019
                                        • Posts: 699
                                        • Likes: 1014
                                        Like
                                        Up
                                        1
                                        ::

                                        Between 40-60 is typically what most set there’s at. Check your manual to see what the recommended PSI is

                                        in reply to: Planning a trip through Colorado? Check your route! #40819
                                        Tory Jon
                                        Keymaster
                                            • Joined: Nov 2019
                                            • Posts: 699
                                            • Likes: 1014
                                            Like
                                            Up
                                            0
                                            ::

                                            Yeah, we usually take I70 when traveling east/west through Colorado, but I know 50 is a pretty popular road, too. Have fun in CO!

                                            in reply to: Toll Pass for Eastern States #40811
                                            Tory Jon
                                            Keymaster
                                                • Joined: Nov 2019
                                                • Posts: 699
                                                • Likes: 1014
                                                Like
                                                Up
                                                0
                                                ::

                                                There’s not a universal pass that wil work nationwide, but for the region you’ll be traveling in you have a few options like EZ-PASS, Sun Pass, And UNI 19 State Pass (which is the EZ-PASS plus a few states). BUt even those might not work in every toll pass.

                                                The TollSmart ap will tell you how much each specific toll is and what passes will work: https://www.tollsmart.com/. Might help with your route planning and figuring out what pass will work for you. Or just try to avoid tolls. In most cases it can be done without driving too far out of the way.

                                                in reply to: Black tank leaking but only when near full #40805
                                                Tory Jon
                                                Keymaster
                                                    • Joined: Nov 2019
                                                    • Posts: 699
                                                    • Likes: 1014
                                                    Like
                                                    Up
                                                    0
                                                    ::

                                                    Thanks for the feedback! Glad to have you here. Please feel free to ask any question you have or help out other members. We are a small but experienced and knowledgeable group with the goal of helping out others no matter where they are in their camping journey.

                                                    in reply to: Black tank leaking but only when near full #40801
                                                    Tory Jon
                                                    Keymaster
                                                        • Joined: Nov 2019
                                                        • Posts: 699
                                                        • Likes: 1014
                                                        Like
                                                        Up
                                                        0
                                                        ::

                                                        Hey Tim, welcome. What you’re experiencing isn’t terribly common, but it is a thing. And its likely to due to either a cracked vent pipe connection, cracked drain pipe connection, or a crack black tank itself. Here’s an image to better illustrate what I mean.

                                                        pinterest-rv-blank-tank-leaks-when-full

                                                        I cover it in more detail here: https://camperfaqs.com/rv-black-tank-leaks-when-full

                                                        in reply to: Always know your RV height! #40797
                                                        Tory Jon
                                                        Keymaster
                                                            • Joined: Nov 2019
                                                            • Posts: 699
                                                            • Likes: 1014
                                                            Like
                                                            Up
                                                            1
                                                            ::

                                                            Just let a little air out of the tires 😉

                                                            in reply to: Tornado rips through RV in Kansas #40792
                                                            Tory Jon
                                                            Keymaster
                                                                • Joined: Nov 2019
                                                                • Posts: 699
                                                                • Likes: 1014
                                                                Like
                                                                Up
                                                                2
                                                                ::

                                                                This is a good time to cover some important tornado safety tips:

                                                                RV Tornado Safety Tips Pinterest Post

                                                              Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 437 total)