Tory Jon

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 437 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Renting out your RV? #40145
    Tory Jon
    Keymaster
        • Joined: Nov 2019
        • Posts: 699
        • Likes: 1014
        Like
        Up
        0
        ::

        It’s not for me, but I know some people do it successfully. If you want to try it out, I took an investigative look at it and detailed how to do it here: https://camperfaqs.com/how-to-rent-out-your-rv. Hope that helps.

        in reply to: Best replacement RV toilet? #40139
        Tory Jon
        Keymaster
            • Joined: Nov 2019
            • Posts: 699
            • Likes: 1014
            Like
            Up
            0
            ::

            You can check out our guide on choosing a new RV toilet for some more options: https://camperfaqs.com/best-rv-toilet. But if it fits, the 320 is a great model.

            in reply to: Best replacement RV toilet? #40120
            Tory Jon
            Keymaster
                • Joined: Nov 2019
                • Posts: 699
                • Likes: 1014
                Like
                Up
                1
                ::

                Dometic is a solid brand, and their newer 320 would be a good replacement. I’m pretty certain the bolt pattern (just 2 bolts), and the water inlet is exactly the same, so replacing it should be straightforward.

                No matter what toilet you get though, 320 included, check the toilet spec sheet and make sure you have proper clearance to the back wall. The 300 requires a distance of 8.5 inches, while the 320 requires 11 inches, I believe. SO measure first to make sure it will fit.

                in reply to: Best Portable Generator for RV Use? #40089
                Tory Jon
                Keymaster
                    • Joined: Nov 2019
                    • Posts: 699
                    • Likes: 1014
                    Like
                    Up
                    1
                    ::

                    I’ll throw in my vote for the Champion as well. I have a dual fuel. Have had no issues with it for years. If I had to buy a new one now, I’d splurge on a dual-fuel inverter. Probably Champion if I could get a good deal. I’m not a brand enthusiast, I just like a good deal 🙂

                    in reply to: What temperature will my RV lines freeze? #40074
                    Tory Jon
                    Keymaster
                        • Joined: Nov 2019
                        • Posts: 699
                        • Likes: 1014
                        Like
                        Up
                        0
                        ::

                        There are a lot of factors at play here, but a good rule of thumb is if temps are just below freezing (32F) for roughly 24 hours your pipes are at risk of freezing.

                        in reply to: How do you keep your RV drawers closed when traveling? #40054
                        Tory Jon
                        Keymaster
                            • Joined: Nov 2019
                            • Posts: 699
                            • Likes: 1014
                            Like
                            Up
                            0
                            ::

                            Is there a lot of weight in those drawers? You might want to try spreading out its contents to some other drawers. Otherwise, magnetic catches like the above work well, and childproof latches are effective but can be annoying.

                            in reply to: Are combo washer/dryers any good? #40029
                            Tory Jon
                            Keymaster
                                • Joined: Nov 2019
                                • Posts: 699
                                • Likes: 1014
                                Like
                                Up
                                0
                                ::

                                Agree with Bill. If you have the space, go with a stackable. If you only have the space for a combo, then definitely do that, as it’s better than nothing. Splendide is a good brand. The biggest complaints I hear are the time it takes to wash and dry a load and that the dryer never gets the clothes dry. But, I know people that love them too and have no issues.

                                in reply to: RV trip to Colorado #40028
                                Tory Jon
                                Keymaster
                                    • Joined: Nov 2019
                                    • Posts: 699
                                    • Likes: 1014
                                    Like
                                    Up
                                    0
                                    ::

                                    Love Colorado! Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park, Garden of the Gods, Royal Gorge, Gunnison area… it could take more than a few weeks! 🙂

                                    We were just there last summer Here are a couple pics.

                                    Estes park

                                    estes park

                                    Garden of the Gods

                                    garden of the gods

                                    in reply to: Unclogging the shower drain in my RV #40006
                                    Tory Jon
                                    Keymaster
                                        • Joined: Nov 2019
                                        • Posts: 699
                                        • Likes: 1014
                                        Like
                                        Up
                                        1
                                        ::

                                        ^This. And I’d start with just cleaning out the strainer to see if that helps since its a slow drain. If you need it fixed asap, grab a plunger and plunge the drain.

                                        in reply to: What are some ways to make money while traveling in an RV? #40000
                                        Tory Jon
                                        Keymaster
                                            • Joined: Nov 2019
                                            • Posts: 699
                                            • Likes: 1014
                                            Like
                                            Up
                                            1
                                            ::

                                            I do have experience with this, but my case is different, as I work from home at my day job, so it’s nothing for me to just hit the road and work while traveling. I know that’s not an option for everybody.

                                            I’m not sure what your skillset is, but here are a few options:

                                            1. Freelancing: Utilize your professional skills (writing, design, coding, consulting) to work remotely on platforms like Upwork or Fiverr.
                                            2. Remote Work: Many companies offer remote work opportunities that can be done from anywhere, including an RV, as in my case.
                                            3. Workamping: Work at campgrounds or RV parks in exchange for a free camping spot and possibly a stipend.
                                            4. Selling Products Online: Create and sell your own products on Etsy, eBay, or Amazon. This can include handmade crafts, vintage finds, or RV-related products.
                                            5. Photography and Videography: Sell your travel photos and videos to stock photo websites or create content for YouTube and monetize it through ads, sponsorships, and merchandise.
                                            6. Blogging or Vlogging: Start a travel blog or vlog documenting your RV adventures and monetize it through advertising, sponsored posts, affiliate marketing, and product sales. However, this can take time to build up and is becoming harder and harder.
                                            7. Online Tutoring or Coaching: Use your expertise in a specific subject area to tutor students online or offer coaching services in areas like fitness, life coaching, or business.
                                            8. Mobile Businesses: Operate a mobile business from your RV – a mobile salon, pet grooming service, food truck, etc.
                                            in reply to: Blue Book for RVs? #39996
                                            Tory Jon
                                            Keymaster
                                                • Joined: Nov 2019
                                                • Posts: 699
                                                • Likes: 1014
                                                Like
                                                Up
                                                0
                                                ::

                                                As Bill said, there’s no Kelley Blue Book value for RVs. However, the JD Power value that you saw in your search is the new NADA Value. JD Power acquired the NADA Used Car Guide in 2015. I think this article will help you find the most accurate value for an RV: https://camperfaqs.com/kelley-blue-book-rv

                                                in reply to: RV show pricing vs dealership #39980
                                                Tory Jon
                                                Keymaster
                                                    • Joined: Nov 2019
                                                    • Posts: 699
                                                    • Likes: 1014
                                                    Like
                                                    Up
                                                    1
                                                    ::

                                                    I’ve been to a LOT of shows and what I’ve learned is that show prices may be marked down, but they may not be the best price around. Once you’ve found a model that you like, I recommend comparing it with prices from dealers online. You might be surprised that the same model is cheaper at a dealership somewhere else.

                                                    And honestly, that’s only if you’re set on buying brand new for whatever reason. Otherwise, look at “like new” models that are a few years old, and you’ll save more money than you ever would at an RV show or at the dealership on a new model.

                                                    All that said, I love going to RV shows and never have the intention to buy. I enjoy looking at the newest models and seeing what’s new in the RV and camping industry. So, it may still be worth your time even if you don’t find good pricing.

                                                    in reply to: Do RVs have to stop at weigh stations? #39942
                                                    Tory Jon
                                                    Keymaster
                                                        • Joined: Nov 2019
                                                        • Posts: 699
                                                        • Likes: 1014
                                                        Like
                                                        Up
                                                        1
                                                        ::

                                                        In most states, weigh stations are for commercial vehicles, not personal RVs. However, every state has different rules regarding weighing, and they change, so if you’re concerned, contact the DOT of the states you’ll be driving through.

                                                        in reply to: How do I unlock my camper door without a key? #39940
                                                        Tory Jon
                                                        Keymaster
                                                            • Joined: Nov 2019
                                                            • Posts: 699
                                                            • Likes: 1014
                                                            Like
                                                            Up
                                                            0
                                                            ::

                                                            Check with your local dealer. They will have a master key and will likely be cheaper than hiring a locksmith, unless you have RV roadside assistance that covers that sort of thing.

                                                            in reply to: Towing a 5th wheel vs travel trailer #39937
                                                            Tory Jon
                                                            Keymaster
                                                                • Joined: Nov 2019
                                                                • Posts: 699
                                                                • Likes: 1014
                                                                Like
                                                                Up
                                                                0
                                                                ::

                                                                In terms of towing, a 5th wheel is hard to beat, but keep in mind that you’ll lose your truck bed when towing (and have to deal with the hitch in your bed when not towing), you’ll need more truck to tow it which can be an additional cost onto an already more expensive RV, and they are typically taller which may or may not be an issue.

                                                              Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 437 total)