Tory Jon

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 437 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: How do I measure for an RV cover #42233
    Tory Jon
    Keymaster
        • Joined: Nov 2019
        • Posts: 699
        • Likes: 1014
        Like
        Up
        2
        ::

        Welcome Jason! Great question. Measure the length of the RV from the two longest points on the vehicle, not including the hitch. Then measure the height of the RV from the top roofline down to the outside frame. Do not stop at the top of the wheel well or measure all the way to the ground. And do not include any rooftop accessories like AC units or vents in your measurement.

        Here’s a guide eon exactly how to do it with visuals: https://camperfaqs.com/how-to-measure-for-rv-cover

        Let us know if you have any more questions!

        in reply to: Storage and space tips when traveling with kids #42228
        Tory Jon
        Keymaster
            • Joined: Nov 2019
            • Posts: 699
            • Likes: 1014
            Like
            Up
            1
            ::

            Good question! We definitely minimize bulky toys and opt for more compact activities like coloring books, card games, we have a collapsible bags game, collapsible bucket with shovels, and so on.

            in reply to: How do you prevent condensation? #42210
            Tory Jon
            Keymaster
                • Joined: Nov 2019
                • Posts: 699
                • Likes: 1014
                Like
                Up
                0
                ::

                The two biggest levers you can pull to prevent condensation are exactly as Bill says above. That said, I’ve touched on this topic in an article where I outline 12 different ways to keep moisture out of your RV here: https://camperfaqs.com/how-to-keep-moisture-out-of-rv-in-winter. It covers Bills tips plus some other ideas which will hopefully help!

                in reply to: Keep water hose from freezing #42195
                Tory Jon
                Keymaster
                    • Joined: Nov 2019
                    • Posts: 699
                    • Likes: 1014
                    Like
                    Up
                    0
                    ::

                    Your two best options are to use a heated hose or insulate and heat your current hose. A heated hose is obviously more convenient but also more expensive. Last I checked a Camco heated hose was around $170 for a 25ft. Where as you could insulate and heat your current hose of the same length for about 1/3rd of that. So, it depends on your budget and level of effort you want to put into it. 🙂

                    Here’s a quick rundown of both options and how to insulate and heat your current hose: https://camperfaqs.com/how-to-keep-rv-water-hose-from-freezing

                    in reply to: Where do you shop for RV-related items? #42191
                    Tory Jon
                    Keymaster
                        • Joined: Nov 2019
                        • Posts: 699
                        • Likes: 1014
                        Like
                        Up
                        1
                        ::

                        I’ve found Amazon to be the cheapest place for most items. But, I also will grab some other items like RV antifreeze, etc. from Walmart or Menards.

                        in reply to: Do you collect souvenirs from your travels? #42182
                        Tory Jon
                        Keymaster
                            • Joined: Nov 2019
                            • Posts: 699
                            • Likes: 1014
                            Like
                            Up
                            1
                            ::

                            Ha! That reminds me of my dad collecting shot glasses everywhere we went!

                            in reply to: Keypad RV lock upgrade #42170
                            Tory Jon
                            Keymaster
                                • Joined: Nov 2019
                                • Posts: 699
                                • Likes: 1014
                                Like
                                Up
                                2
                                ::

                                Honestly, either one would work just fine. I’ve been happy with the RV Lock brand, and I know a lot of people in this community have too.

                                in reply to: Keypad RV lock upgrade #42168
                                Tory Jon
                                Keymaster
                                    • Joined: Nov 2019
                                    • Posts: 699
                                    • Likes: 1014
                                    Like
                                    Up
                                    3
                                    ::

                                    RV Lock! Here’s the one I went with:

                                    rv-lock

                                    Looks like its on black Friday sale right now too!

                                    I got the compact version, but there’s also the V4, which is a little more heavy-duty with bigger buttons. Be sure to watch the video in the product description as it has some helpful tips to help you get the right model and ensure it’ll fit.

                                    in reply to: How to avoid stress at work… #42160
                                    Tory Jon
                                    Keymaster
                                        • Joined: Nov 2019
                                        • Posts: 699
                                        • Likes: 1014
                                        Like
                                        Up
                                        0
                                        ::

                                        Thats the dream!

                                        in reply to: Can I travel with a full water tank? #42155
                                        Tory Jon
                                        Keymaster
                                            • Joined: Nov 2019
                                            • Posts: 699
                                            • Likes: 1014
                                            Like
                                            Up
                                            4
                                            ::

                                            I always fill it up before leaving, but I would say it depends on the camper. Should all campers be able to handle the weight and not affect driving, sure, but let’s be honest, campers aren’t known for their excellent build quality. If you’re worried about it, I would first check the owner’s manual and even contact the manufacturer to see if they recommend it. You could also do a test run. Fill it up and drive it around your town to see if it affects driving or if there are any issues. We can all share our anecdotal experiences, but each camper is different.

                                            in reply to: How do I winterize my washer/dryer combo? #42148
                                            Tory Jon
                                            Keymaster
                                                • Joined: Nov 2019
                                                • Posts: 699
                                                • Likes: 1014
                                                Like
                                                Up
                                                4
                                                ::

                                                Yep, you will want to properly winterize it. Since you haven’t already pumped antifreeze into your system, you can follow these instructions (taken from the SPlendide 2100XC owner’s manual).

                                                If you are currently pumping antifreeze through your fresh water system:
                                                1. With machine power OFF, turn WASH TEMP knob to ‘HOT’.
                                                2. Advance Cycle Selector to position ‘3’.
                                                3. Press ON/OFF button, then press START. Let machine fill until the drum turns (could take up to 1 to 2 minutes).
                                                4. Press ON/OFF button to turn power OFF.
                                                5. Advance Cycle Selector to ‘Spin’.
                                                6. Press ON/OFF button, then press START.
                                                7. After letting antifreeze drain completely from drum, press the ON/OFF button to turn power OFF.

                                                Here’s a link to the Splendide 2100XC quick start guide for more info. Might be a good idea to print it off and keep it in your RV. https://www.splendide.com/downloads/QR-RV_2100XC_QuickOp_Winterize.pdf

                                                in reply to: God Sam Pilot Flying J card no longer works for fuel discount #42141
                                                Tory Jon
                                                Keymaster
                                                    • Joined: Nov 2019
                                                    • Posts: 699
                                                    • Likes: 1014
                                                    Like
                                                    Up
                                                    0
                                                    ::

                                                    Thats too bad. Thanks for the heads up!

                                                    in reply to: Will the new diesel laws affect us going into California? #42133
                                                    Tory Jon
                                                    Keymaster
                                                        • Joined: Nov 2019
                                                        • Posts: 699
                                                        • Likes: 1014
                                                        Like
                                                        Up
                                                        2
                                                        ::

                                                        You’ll be fine. You can definitely enter California in your motorhome without facing restrictions from the new regulations… or even their restrictive emissions testing requirements.

                                                        The recent regulations primarily affect the sale and registration of new diesel motorhomes over 8,500 pounds gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) within the state.

                                                        in reply to: Did Cracker Barrel change their overnight policy? #42130
                                                        Tory Jon
                                                        Keymaster
                                                            • Joined: Nov 2019
                                                            • Posts: 699
                                                            • Likes: 1014
                                                            Like
                                                            Up
                                                            3
                                                            ::

                                                            Good question! I actually reached out to their corporate HQ to get some clarity and apparently they do NOT allow RVers as part of their company policy.

                                                            page-cracker-barrel-store-overnight-rv-parking

                                                            But, I know many people who have (like @kdewall above), so if you’re interested in staying overnight at a particular Cracker Barrel I would suggest asking the manager first. They might let you.

                                                            in reply to: What’s the difference between overlanding and boondocking? #42122
                                                            Tory Jon
                                                            Keymaster
                                                                • Joined: Nov 2019
                                                                • Posts: 699
                                                                • Likes: 1014
                                                                Like
                                                                Up
                                                                1
                                                                ::

                                                                I think everybody above kinda hit it on the head. I would just add, overlanding is about exploration, or even like @kdewall mentioned, the journey. Think of it as an off-roading adventure.

                                                                I have a buddy who has a pretty nice Toyota Landcruiser that he’s completely outfitted for overlanding. I know he’s done several excursions in Utah and Arizona. Sounds fun, but not sure i need any more hobbies. lol

                                                              Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 437 total)