Tory Jon

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 437 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: RV battery during winter #41955
    Tory Jon
    Keymaster
        • Joined: Nov 2019
        • Posts: 699
        • Likes: 1014
        Like
        Up
        3
        ::

        I prefer to remove the battery as you have more control over the temperature its in, ensure nothing drains it, and that it’s always charged properly. BUt, I know plenty of people that leave it in over the winter.

        If you do plan to take it out, you’ll want to hook it up to a battery tender to keep it charged. Here’s my step-by-step process for storing an RV battery over winter: https://camperfaqs.com/how-to-store-an-rv-battery-for-winter. I’m also operating on the assumption that you have a lead-acid battery. That article I linked to touches on what to do if you have a different type of battery, ie, lithium batteries.

        in reply to: Make more time for camping! #41944
        Tory Jon
        Keymaster
            • Joined: Nov 2019
            • Posts: 699
            • Likes: 1014
            Like
            Up
            1
            ::

            Thats the goal!

            in reply to: Where do you store your coffee maker while traveling? #41937
            Tory Jon
            Keymaster
                • Joined: Nov 2019
                • Posts: 699
                • Likes: 1014
                Like
                Up
                2
                ::

                Coffee lover here! 🙂 We have a mini keurig and just place it in the sink when traveling.

                in reply to: Dump stations near Salem, Oregon #41926
                Tory Jon
                Keymaster
                    • Joined: Nov 2019
                    • Posts: 699
                    • Likes: 1014
                    Like
                    Up
                    1
                    ::

                    Check out our Salem, Oregon dump station page here: https://camperfaqs.com/rv-dump-stations-in-salem-oregon

                     

                    Tory Jon
                    Keymaster
                        • Joined: Nov 2019
                        • Posts: 699
                        • Likes: 1014
                        Like
                        Up
                        2
                        ::

                        I can’t say I’ve ever personally had that problem, but others who have will often take a pool noodle, slice it open the long way, and place it over top of the hangers. You could also:

                        • Place a tension rod over the closet rod which would prevent the hangers from bouncing off.
                        • Attach a bungee cord from one end to the other end of the hangers.
                        • If you have an uppershelf, stuff a pillow between the rod and the shelf.

                        Those are just a few ideas.

                        in reply to: Should I store my RV with slides in or out? #41916
                        Tory Jon
                        Keymaster
                            • Joined: Nov 2019
                            • Posts: 699
                            • Likes: 1014
                            Like
                            Up
                            1
                            ::

                            Yep, slides in.

                            in reply to: How much antifreeze do I need to winterize? #41905
                            Tory Jon
                            Keymaster
                                • Joined: Nov 2019
                                • Posts: 699
                                • Likes: 1014
                                Like
                                Up
                                0
                                ::

                                I used 3 gallons last time I winterized, but like Pete said it will vary. Since it’s your first time, here’s a step-by-step guide to walk you through the winterizing process: https://camperfaqs.com/how-to-winterize-a-camper-complete-guide

                                Let us know if you have any questions/issues.

                                in reply to: Is the site lock fee a money grab? #41899
                                Tory Jon
                                Keymaster
                                    • Joined: Nov 2019
                                    • Posts: 699
                                    • Likes: 1014
                                    Like
                                    Up
                                    2
                                    ::

                                    Site lock fees, sometimes called “selection fees” are becoming more popular as the demand for campsites grows. This fee lets you reserve a specific spot in advance, ensuring that when you arrive, you’ll get the exact site you want. Without paying this fee, the campground might assign you any available site when you get there.

                                    Here’s why it makes sense from the campground’s perspective:

                                    Let’s say it’s 4th of July weekend, and the campground is almost sold out. There are only two sites left: one big site that can fit a large 40-foot RV, and a smaller site. A person with a small 10-foot pop-up camper books the large site online. Meanwhile, someone with a big 40-foot 5th wheel calls the campground and asks if there are any large sites available, but all that’s left is the smaller one, which won’t fit their RV. The campground has to turn them away because the larger site was already booked by the smaller pop-up camper.

                                    Thanks to the site lock fee, the pop-up camper who wants that big site would get to keep it, since they’ve paid extra to reserve it. Without the site lock fee, the campground would have the flexibility to move the pop-up to the smaller site, leaving the larger site available for the big 5th wheel.

                                    So, from a business standpoint, this gives the campground a way to manage its space better and accommodate more guests with the right-sized sites for their RVs.

                                    From a customer standpoint, I get the frustration, as it seems like there are always new fees being added to reservations. Some I’ve seen recently are resort fees, extra occupant fees, pet fees, site power fees, etc. It’s the same you see at hotels these days.

                                    in reply to: Some people wait their whole lives… #41885
                                    Tory Jon
                                    Keymaster
                                        • Joined: Nov 2019
                                        • Posts: 699
                                        • Likes: 1014
                                        Like
                                        Up
                                        0
                                        ::

                                        Same! It also helps the kids are my little camping buddies too

                                        in reply to: What do you use for toilet seal lubricant? #41879
                                        Tory Jon
                                        Keymaster
                                            • Joined: Nov 2019
                                            • Posts: 699
                                            • Likes: 1014
                                            Like
                                            Up
                                            1
                                            ::

                                            I double-checked my manual and it says to not use a spray lubricant that is not silicone-based. So, as long as the spray is silicone-based, it should be OK. What you don’t want to use, and I’ve actually seen this recommended in FB groups and other forums, is a petroleum-based lubricant like Vaseline. That will actually do more harm than good.

                                            As far as what to use, I use Thetford Toilet treatment: https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-Toilet-Lubricant-Conditioner-24-36663/dp/B002NSU0ZW/.

                                            in reply to: Level camper with slides in or out? #41868
                                            Tory Jon
                                            Keymaster
                                                • Joined: Nov 2019
                                                • Posts: 699
                                                • Likes: 1014
                                                Like
                                                Up
                                                0
                                                ::

                                                100% this. Thanks Terry

                                                in reply to: What do you prepare ahead of time for camping meals? #41856
                                                Tory Jon
                                                Keymaster
                                                    • Joined: Nov 2019
                                                    • Posts: 699
                                                    • Likes: 1014
                                                    Like
                                                    Up
                                                    0
                                                    ::

                                                    We’ll brown some ground beef, make some sandwiches, and cut up fruits and veggies for quick meal options, but we mostly just cook meals from scratch when we are at the campsite. Love making meals on the blackstone!

                                                    in reply to: I want to go camping for so long… #41839
                                                    Tory Jon
                                                    Keymaster
                                                        • Joined: Nov 2019
                                                        • Posts: 699
                                                        • Likes: 1014
                                                        Like
                                                        Up
                                                        0
                                                        ::

                                                        It’s a real problem!

                                                        in reply to: Thetford toilet not holding water and smells #41830
                                                        Tory Jon
                                                        Keymaster
                                                            • Joined: Nov 2019
                                                            • Posts: 699
                                                            • Likes: 1014
                                                            Like
                                                            Up
                                                            1
                                                            ::

                                                            Great info by @billgreene above. I would also recommend using Thetford Toilet treatment at least at the start and end of camping season: https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-Toilet-Lubricant-Conditioner-24-36663/dp/B002NSU0ZW/. A little maintenance goes along way.

                                                            in reply to: Is theft an issue when RV camping? #41796
                                                            Tory Jon
                                                            Keymaster
                                                                • Joined: Nov 2019
                                                                • Posts: 699
                                                                • Likes: 1014
                                                                Like
                                                                Up
                                                                2
                                                                ::

                                                                I’ve never had an issue with stuff being stolen. BUt we don’t have outside storage bins, and don’t typically leave stuff out when we are gone.

                                                              Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 437 total)