Camper Nearly Dies From CO Poisoning

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts
    • #41013
      Tory Jon
      Keymaster
          • Joined: Nov 2019
          • Posts: 180
          • Likes: 142
          Like
          Up
          1
          ::

          Have you checked your CO detector lately?

          Stephanie Gigous, a 54-year-old woman from York Springs, PA, was camping alone at her family’s hunting camp in the Moshannon State Forest when she experienced a life-threatening situation. On the night of May 15, she woke up feeling very sick and suspected a gas leak. By 11 a.m., she managed to drive her car to McGeorge Road but collapsed when she tried to get help.

          A forestry crew, identified only as Tyler and Steve, found her and called for emergency assistance. First responders arrived and administered aid until EMS came. Gigous had stopped breathing but was revived and taken to Penn Highlands Clearfield, where she was treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. Her blood level of carbon monoxide was eight times higher than normal, and the gas level in the camp was significantly toxic.

          Gigous was hospitalized overnight and credits the quick actions of the responders for saving her life. She suspects a malfunction in the camp’s propane-powered refrigerator, and Amerigas technicians are investigating. Normally camping with family, she was alone this time. Gigous, a registered nurse, is recovering but still feels weak and tires easily.

          She emphasized the importance of maintaining carbon monoxide detectors and having appliances serviced regularly. Gigous plans to continue camping with added precautions in the future.

        • #41014
          Georgia McBroom
          Participant
              • Joined: Jan 2024
              • Posts: 31
              • Likes: 15
              Like
              Up
              0
              ::

              Scary stuff! Thank for the reminder!

          Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.