RV memberships can help you save money on traveling costs, campground rentals, RV related products, and some even offer private access to groups and overnight stays for members.
But not every RV membership and club will be right for you.
So, instead of wasting money on a membership that you’ll never use, let’s look at the top 7 RV memberships, their benefits, how much they cost, and whether they are right for you!
RV Membership Comparison Chart
Best RV Memberships and Clubs
The best RV memberships should provide value for you and your style of camping, whether that be saving you money or granting you special access, and it’s one that you should actually use (more on that later).
Of course, the “best” RV membership will differ for everyone, so below, we break down 7 of our favorite clubs and memberships to help find the best one for you and your needs!
Important: This is not an exhaustive list of every RV membership and club out there, but rather a roundup and review of the ones we feel bring the most bang for the buck, listed in alphabetical order.
Boondockers Welcome is a membership-based network connecting RV travelers with property owners, known as hosts, offering a free place for RVers to park and camp on their property. These hosts have a property suitable for RV camping, such as a large driveway, a field, or a pasture, and they are willing to share this space with travelers.
In addition to providing a place to park, many Boondockers Welcome hosts also offer amenities for a fee, such as access to electricity, water, and/or sewage hookups, as well as the use of their facilities, such as bathrooms, showers, and laundry.
To use the Boondockers Welcome network, RVers must become members by purchasing a membership and creating a profile on the Boondockers Welcome website. Members can then search for hosts in their desired location and contact them to request a stay. Hosts can review potential guests’ profiles and decide whether or not to accept their requests.
Tip: Become a host to earn rewards and special privileges when staying at an in-network location.
Boondockers Welcome was founded to provide a way for RVers to find safe, affordable, and welcoming places to stay while on the road. It is a great option for travelers who want access to unlimited overnight stays at thousands of locations across America with no camping fees.
Benefits of a Boondockers Welcome Membership
There are several benefits to becoming a member of Boondockers Welcome, including:
- Access to a large network of hosts: As a member of Boondockers Welcome, you will have access to a network of hosts willing to share their property with RVers. This allows you to find a place to stay in a wide range of locations in the United States and Canada.
- Free accommodation: Boondockers Welcome hosts offer free overnight stays on their property, with minimal fees if you need access to certain amenities. This can be much more affordable than staying in a traditional campground or RV park.
- Unique experiences: By staying with a Boondockers Welcome host, you can experience different parts of the country and meet like-minded individuals in a way you may not be able to do at a traditional campground. You may have the chance to stay on a farm, a ranch, or in a small town or rural area, and you may have the chance to interact with your host and learn about their way of life.
- Sense of community: Boondockers Welcome is a community of RVers and property owners passionate about traveling and the great outdoors. By becoming a member, you can connect with like-minded individuals and build relationships with hosts and other travelers.
- Safety and security: Boondockers Welcome has a review system to ensure that hosts and guests are trustworthy and respectful. Hosts can review the profile of potential guests before accepting a request, and guests can review their host after their stay. This helps to create a safe and secure environment for all members.
How Much Is a Boondockers Welcome Membership?
A Boondockers Welcome membership starts at $79 per year, which gives you unlimited overnight stays at host properties with a 100% money-back guarantee.
For $169 per year, you can access the harvests Hosts network of camping locations in addition to the Boondockers Welcome network. This includes thousands of additional locations to overnight, such as wineries, farms, breweries, and more.
For just $10 more, at $179 per year, you can get access to all of the above, plus the addition of 450+ golf courses across the country.
Is a Boondockers Welcome Membership Worth It?
If you have a self-contained RV and plan to stay overnight more than a few times a year, then the cost of a Boondockers Welcome membership is absolutely worth it. In fact, the lowest tier membership, which costs $79 per year, can pay for itself in just one or two overnight stays.
Plus, if you have the accommodations to be a host, you can earn special rewards and even some money if you offer access to certain amenities.
Boondockers Welcome is one of our must-have memberships for RV’ers looking to save some serious money in campground fees.
The Escapees RV Club is a membership-based organization for full and part-time RVers, and those interested in the RV lifestyle. It was founded in 1978 with the goal of providing support, resources, and community to people who live and travel in recreational vehicles.
Its members, known as SKPs (SKPs pounds like Escapees when sounded out), enjoy a lot more than just discounts (even though they boast of having the largest discount network of any RV club), but you become a part of a tightly-knit community that has one of the vastest arrays of benefits you’ll find in an RV club.
Benefits of an Escapees RV Club Membership
The Escapees RV Club offers a range of benefits and services to its members, including:
- Discounts: The Escapees RV Club offers a variety of discounts to its members, including discounts on campgrounds (15-50% off their network of over 800 campgrounds), RV tire and fuel discounts, and other travel-related services. Plus, you get discounts on other RV membership clubs like Boondockers Welcome, Passport America, Harvest Hosts, Fulltime Families, and more!
- Educational resources: The club provides access to a wealth of educational resources, including workshops, seminars, and online courses on RV maintenance, budgeting, full-time RVing, etc.
- Community: The Escapees RV Club has a strong sense of community, with members connecting through local chapters, online forums, and special events.
- Mobile app: Quickly access all that Escapees RV Club has to offer right on your mobile phone.
- RVer job exchange: If you’re looking for full or part-time work or are looking to hire somebody for a job, their RVer job exchange service will connect traveling contract workers with job opportunities.
- Advocacy: The club works to advocate for the rights of RVers and to promote the RV lifestyle. This includes lobbying efforts to improve RV-friendly laws and regulations and working with campground owners and other industry partners to improve RV facilities and services.
For additional fees, you can also get the following:
- Mail forwarding: The club operates a mail forwarding service that allows members to receive their mail, regardless of location. This can be especially useful for full-time RVers who do not have a permanent address.
- Roadside assistance: For an additional $109 per year, you can get unlimited roadside assistance that includes towing, mobile mechanic service, tire changes, fuel delivery, battery jump starts, and more
How Much Is an Escapees RV Club Membership?
An annual Escapees RV Club membership costs $49.95 for US residents and $59.95 for Canadian and Mexican residents. This allows you to participate in their Escapees and Xscaper communities and access their discount programs, educational resources, and support services. For an additional $195, you can add their mail forwarding service.
They also have a lifetime membership option which costs $850 for US residents and $905 for residents of other countries.
Is an Escapees RV Club Membership Worth It?
An Escapees RV Club membership is worth it if you regularly take advantage of the discounts and educational opportunities. This is pretty easy to do if you’re a full-time RVer or take multiple RV vacations every year.
Plus, if you plan on joining any other RV clubs on this page, it might be worthwhile to join Escapees RV Club first and use their discount for the other RV clubs.
Fulltime Families is an RV club and online community for families who live and travel full-time in recreational vehicles.
The idea for Fulltime Families began in 2010 by Kimberly Travaglino and started with just a few families. It has since grown to include thousands of families from all over the country.
Fulltime Families offers a range of resources and support for families considering or already living the full-time RV lifestyle, including a private online community, member discounts, road schooling resources, and events and rallies.
The organization’s mission is to help provide opportunities for education and meaningful connections for families traveling in RVs.
Benefits of a Fulltime Families Membership
- Connecting with other families: More than anything, Fulltime Families is a community of like-minded families who are living or considering the full-time RV lifestyle. Members can connect in private online communities via Facebook Groups, at events and rallies, or through local chapters.
- Educational resources: Fulltime Families offers a range of educational resources to help families learn about the full-time RV lifestyle and make informed decisions about their own travels. Plus, tips and resources for road-schooling your children.
- Member discounts: Fulltime Families has partnerships with various businesses and organizations, many listed on this page, that offer discounts to members. These discounts can be on things like campsites, gear and equipment, and other products and services.
- Support and advice: Fulltime Families offers support and advice to families living or considering the full-time RV lifestyle. This can include help with choosing an RV, budgeting, planning travels, etc.
- Events and rallies: Fulltime Families hosts various events and rallies throughout the year, including regional gatherings, educational workshops, and family-friendly activities. These events provide an opportunity for members to meet in person and connect.
How Much Is a Fulltime Families Membership?
An annual Fulltime Families membership costs $79 per year. This gives you access to their private Facebook groups, countywide events, Explorers program, dedicated FtF Minecraft server, and member-exclusive discounts.
There’s also a lifetime membership option that is a one-time payment of $395.
Is a Fulltime Families Membership Worth It?
A Fulltime Families Membership isn’t for everybody, but if you’re a family traveling full-time in an RV, this is an invaluable resource, especially if you’re road-schooling your children.
The Good Sam Club is a membership organization for RV enthusiasts. Founded in 1966, it has grown to become one of the largest RV clubs in the world, with over 2 million members!
Good Sam offers a range of member discounts and a suite of services, including roadside assistance, travel planning resources, extended warranties, and RV insurance (life and health insurance are also available).
Good Sam also hosts events and rallies for members throughout the year and has a network of local chapters that offer additional support and resources.
Benefits of a Good Sam Club Membership
- Discounts: Good Sam offers a range of discounts to its members, including 10% off their network of 2,000+ Good Sam campgrounds and RV parks. Plus, fuel discounts (5 cents on gas and 8 cents on diesel at select Pilot Flying J stations), propane discounts, free dump station service at select Camping World locations, and much more.
- Roadside assistance: For an additional annual fee, Good Sam provides roadside assistance to its members, including towing, tire repair, and access to its nationwide network of RV technicians. This can be a valuable resource for those on the road that encounter unexpected issues with their RV.
- Trip planning: Good Sam offers a range of resources to help members plan their travels, including their online Good Sam Trip Planner, which makes it easy to plan your trip and all the stops along the way.
- Insurance: Good Sam offers RV insurance options for its members that extends to their car, truck, or SUV.
- Events and rallies: Good Sam hosts a variety of events and rallies for its members throughout the year, including regional gatherings, educational workshops, and family-friendly activities. These events allow members to meet in person and connect.
How Much Is a Good Sam Club Membership?
The cost of a Good Sam Club membership varies by term. Join the Good Sam Club for $29 for one year, $55 for two years, or $79 for three years.
Is a Good Sam Club Membership Worth It?
A Good Sam Club membership may be worth it if you frequently travel in your RV and regularly stop at Pilot Flying J and Camping World locations.
But, keep in mind, a lot of their services cost extra, for example, their roadside assistance and insurance plans. And their measly 10% discount at Good Sam campgrounds isn’t that much of a money saver. In my experience, you can almost always find a cheaper campground to stay at.
The gas savings are nice, but if you fill a 50-gallon tank, you’ll only be saving $2.50 off a roughly $150 fill-up. However, if you travel a lot, these savings can add up and will most likely cover the minimal cost of an annual membership.
A Good Sam Club membership is one of the cheapest RV clubs to join, so while it might not be the best option for everyone, it doesn’t take much to get its cost back in discounts and savings.
Harvest Hosts is a membership-based program that allows members to stay overnight at various unique locations, such as wineries, breweries, farms, and other small businesses.
Like Boondockers Welcome, members can stay for free at these locations. But, it is encouraged to support the business by purchasing their products or services.
It’s a fun program that provides an alternative to traditional camping by allowing members to stay in interesting and scenic locations while traveling.
To become a member of Harvest Hosts, you must pay an annual membership fee and agree to the terms and conditions of the program. You can even combine a Harvest Host membership with a Boondockers Welcome membership to access both networks (over 7,000 locations).
Once a member, you can use the Harvest Hosts website or mobile app to search for, and book stays at participating locations. You can also access additional resources and benefits, such as discounts through external partnerships.
It is important to note that Harvest Hosts is not a traditional campground or RV park. The locations participating in the program are likely not equipped with hookups or other amenities typically found at traditional campgrounds and RV parks. Campers are expected to be self-sufficient and respect the property and business they are staying at. You can read the full code of conduct here.
Benefits of a Harvest Hosts Membership
- Unique camping experiences: Harvest Hosts offers the opportunity to stay at unique and interesting locations unavailable through traditional camping options. This can include wineries, breweries, farms, and other small businesses.
- Free overnights: As a member, you can stay at participating locations for free in exchange for supporting the business by purchasing their products or services. This can be a cost-effective option for RVers looking to save money on overnight stays.
- Combine with Boondockers Welcome: For a discounted fee, you can combine your Harvest Host membership with a Boondockers Welcome membership and enjoy the benefits of both, including an additional 3,000+ host locations.
- Mobile app: Their mobile app makes it super easy to search their directory of hosts, request a stay at a location, leave reviews, create trips, and more.
How Much Is a Harvest Hosts Membership?
A Harvest Hosts membership starts at $99 per year, which gives you unlimited overnight stays at host properties with a 100% money-back guarantee.
For $169 per year, you can get access to the Boondockers Welcome network of camping locations in addition to the Harvest Hosts network. This includes thousands of additional locations across the country.
For just $10 more, at $179 per year, you can get access to all of the above, plus the addition of 450+ golf courses across the country.
Is a Harvest Hosts Membership Worth It?
If you have a self-contained RV and plan to stay overnight more than a few times a year, then the cost of a Harvest Host membership is absolutely worth it. In fact, the lowest tier membership, which costs $99 per year, can pay for itself in just one or two overnight stays.
And beyond the huge money-savings, it’s a great way to experience unique and interesting locations that you likely otherwise wouldn’t.
Click the button below and get an extra 15% off your membership rate with the code displayed on the page! It’s our way of saying thanks!
Passport America is one of the most popular camping memberships and is famous for its 50% discount at any of its 1,200 campgrounds across the country.
Beyond their camping discount, members can utilize their comprehensive campground directory and online trip routing tool. Plus, enjoy additional members-only discounts.
Benefits of a Passport America Membership
- Big discounts: Passport America offers discounts of 50% on overnight stays at participating campgrounds and RV parks, which can save you significant money on your travels. Plus, you get access to other discounts on RV-related services.
- Wide range of locations: Passport America has a large network of participating campgrounds and RV parks, with over 1200 locations in all 50 states and parts of Canada and Mexico. This means you have many options to choose from when planning your travels.
- Mobile app: Members can utilize their mobile app to search their campground directory, route trips, and more.
- Discounted tent sites: Your membership goes beyond just RV camping. You’ll also get access to discounted tent sites across the country.
- External benefits: For additional fees, members can get access to a slew of external benefits, including digital mail service, RV insurance, and DriveQuest (their version of Roadside assistance)
How Much Is a Passport America Membership?
The cost of a Passport America membership varies by term. A 1-year membership costs $44, 2-year membership is $79, 3-year membership is $109, and a 5-year membership is $179. There’s also a lifetime membership option for $299.
Is a Passport America Membership Worth It?
It is worth it if you can find enough participating campgrounds and parks to stay at throughout the year to cover the low cost of $44. While that might not seem hard to do, especially if you’re an avid RV traveler, the biggest complaint about Passport America is the restrictions campgrounds set. Many campgrounds won’t honor the discount on certain days of the week, months of the year, holidays, etc.
Unfortunately, every campground has its own set of restrictions and rules, so they may not honor the discount during your planned stay.
With that said, it only takes using the discount once or twice a year to get your membership cost back, so it’s worth testing it out for a year to see if it’s right for you.
The Thousand Trails Camping Pass is a membership-based program that operates differently than the rest. Essentially, you can get free overnight stays at any of their 81 locations that are divided across five zones. But you have to buy access to each zone. The five zones include Northwest, Southwest, Midwest, Northeast, and Southeast, as shown on this map.
You can also upgrade your membership with their Trails Collection and get access to 100+ more campgrounds.
Here’s a quick 60-second explainer video of how Thousand Trails works:
Unlike other RV clubs that offer free overnight stays, Thousand Trails actually lets you stay for free for up to 14 consecutive days! Keep in mind if your overnight stay exceeds four consecutive nights, you have to wait seven nights before you can stay again at another Thousand Trails location.
Benefits of a Thousand Trails Membership
- Free overnights: A Thousand Trails camping pass can save you money on camping fees, as it allows you to stay at their network of campgrounds for free.
- Convenient reservation process: A Thousand Trails camping pass makes it easy to book a campsite, as you can reserve a spot online or over the phone.
- Flexibility: With a Thousand Trails camping pass, you have the flexibility to stay at different campgrounds and locations for extended periods of time, allowing you to explore new areas throughout the year – for free!
- Family-friendly: Many Thousand Trails campgrounds offer a range of amenities and activities for families, such as pools, playgrounds, and organized events. Plus, their campgrounds are pet-friendly, allowing you to bring your furry family on your camping trip, as well.
- Access to a wide range of camping options: With a Thousand Trails camping pass, you can choose from a variety of campsites, including RV and tent sites. Plus, they have a cabin pass option granting free stays in 125+ locations.
How Much Is a Thousand Trails Membership?
A Thousand Trails Camping Pass costs $670 per year for one zone and an additional $90 for each additional zone you add. The Trails Collection add-on costs $370 per year. You can pay for the membership in full or make monthly payments.
Is a Thousand Trails Membership Worth It?
Thousand Trails might have one of the smaller networks with the highest membership costs, but it’s one of the few that could save you thousands of dollars a year if you use it to its fullest potential. In fact, I would argue it’s one of the best memberships for full-time RV travelers if used right.
Remember that you’ll want to reserve your campgrounds well in advance as they can fill up fast, especially during the heavy camping season. Plus, you’ll want to plan your routes along areas with Thousand Trail camping locations, which can be pretty sparse in many centrally located states. Their network seems to be most heavily populated along the far east, far west, and some southern regions.
Should You Get an RV Membership?
Whether an RV membership is worth it for you will depend on the membership’s benefits and if they align with your priorities. Full-time and frequent RV travelers will almost certainly find value in having not just one but multiple RV memberships. Even those who only plan a few trips per year can find value in a membership.
Remember, it only takes a few overnights at a Boondockers Welcome or Harvest Hosts location to more than pay for itself. Or a couple fill-ups at a Flying J with a Good Sam membership to cover the costs.
In other words, if the membership will save you money on camping fees over time or provide a convenience that makes the annual payment worth it, it’s definitely worth getting.